Search This Blog

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Washington Passes and Islands

I've made it to Jenn and Aaron's place in Seattle after 3002.6 miles of riding.

Going across WA on highway 20, I flew. My pace was 89, 79, 82, 85, 107, then 35 miles and I was on the coast. The elevation chart for those rides is below. I must admit, I felt a bit like Superman.



Washington has a fairly varied landscape. I went from a forest of cedars to what felt like high desert in the valley between wauconda and loup loup passes, to the snow capped mountains of the North Cascades, to the gorgeous coastal terrain of the northern Puget Sound and the San Juan Islands.


The more desert like area along the onakagon river.



Letting my rims cool as I come down from loup loup pass.



Just before the final switchback on my way up to Washington Pass (which finishes with 7 miles of a 7% grade)



Mt. Colonial in the North Cascades National Park.

I spent the fourth with a wonderful family in Anacortes. Mike (the man of the house) started chatting me up outside the local brewery; which has my new favorite beer of the trip - Bourbon Barrel Red. When he found out that I had no
plans for the evening of the fourth he invited me over to stay with he and his wife, Barbara, and have a wonderful meal and excellent conversation. It was great.



Reaching the coast in my 4th finery.

My other highlight was on the second day on Orcas Island I met two women who rode up to the top of Mt. Constitution at the same time I did. They invited me to explore the island with them and in the process managed to find ourselves sailing around the island with two retired gentlemen who happen to be going out when we were checking out the dock they were launching fun.



Taking the ferry to Orcas Island.



The view from the top of Mt. Constitution.

All in all, it's been a great ride so far. My solo portion of the journey is at an end and now I'm visiting friends and gearing up to do the coast with Liz, Dung, and Joe!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:NE 68th St,Seattle,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment