So it's time to post on what you've all been wondering about: the beer. As I've traveled through these states I've tried to stick to local beer. So here is what I recall.
In case you don't already know, Michigan has some fantastic beer. I tried to make sure Martin got to have some of the standouts, but I think all we were able to accomplish was some Oberon, two hearted (both Bell's), maybe some sky high rye from Arcadia, and then a couple of Jolly pumpkin's before we left. All fantastic, but I might be biased so you'll have to ask Martin for an objective opinion.
Of the other states, WI is the winner thus far. The sheer volume of Wisconsin beer on tap at the old fashioned is astounding. We had a pepper ale, which was delicious, tried something that had very distinct citrus flavors and had something like 50 beers on tap that I wish I could have tried. On U Wisconsin 's campus we had a great IPA called kiss the lips. And as we traveled we found other beers from craft brewers that were also very good. My favorite beer of the trip is still probably the home-brewed cream ale (a delicious balance of a golden ale and cream soda) that we had at a roadside grill.
Montana is proving to be a runner up now, not only for the quality of the beer, which I've found a few floral, bitter pales and IPA's, but also for the art on the packaging. I mean just look at this bottle:

And then this really flavorful IPA (reminded me of a hoppier two hearted) in a can!

Montana has serious potential and I'm only half way through it. Although I've run into the problem of buying sixers with only myself to get through them before my ride the next day. Guess I need to make more local friends.
One other state is worth mentioning: North Dakota. I would call it a Beer Desert. Most bars can't afford to keep any beer on tap and pretty much all you find are your standard domestics, great when your parched, but not exactly craft beer. Sadly, I could not find any beer from North Dakota. However, stopping in the bars in each town we stayed was always a good time.
I'll leave you with a few pictures I have on this phone since I last posted:

My first flat of the trip at 1500 miles. a good one.

Big sky country

In the distance you can see the flooding.
That's all I got. It's hard to capture the sense of immensity out here. These truly are the great plains. You'll just have to come see for yourselves.
Looking forward to mountains!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
Location:4th Ave,Havre,United States
No comments:
Post a Comment